Home Automation using ESP8266 eBook and video course » Build IoT and home automation projects. You’ve just written and uploaded your first MicroPython script to your ESP32/ESP8266 board using Mu Editor software. 6) Now, press the on-board ESP32/ESP8266 EN (ENABLE) or RST (RESET) button to restart your board.
- Software is written in so called computer languages, but they are translated by a program called a compiler to machine executable code.
- Hopefully, this program might also work with your FIRMWARE file.
- In the flashing tool, I changed the serial port from COM1 to COM6 because that’s where the CH232HM cable resides on my system.
- Because of that, MicroPython does not come with the entire pack of standard libraries.
- you were uploading C/C++sketches using the Arduino IDE — which overwrites nodeMCU lua data.
- The progress was displayed in the lower pane of the window and, after about a minute, the reprogramming was done.
Extracting the individual device partition images from an Android OTA file could come in handy in various situations. For example, if you want to grab the stock boot image for installing Magisk and rooting your phone.
We have said that BIN files, in many cases, are CD and DVD images for burning or browsing through virtual CD / DVD drives. This means that to use them, you must download a recording software or a program that can «mount» the image files on your PC. Step 2) Run the downloaded installer program to install the software on your computer. Because the software also installs certain virtual device drivers, it might ask you to restart the PC, after which the remaining installation will continue. Sometimes the data is compressed, which makes the structure hard to understand. Even if the data is not compressed, the underlying content might be in different formats, such as images, music, etc.
For example, if the .bin file is a firmware update for an iPhone accessory, you may be able to open it using a specialized app provided by stock ROM the accessory manufacturer. In that case, know that you don’t have to open it to use it.
The file utility, available on Linux systems, tries to find out the file type given as an argument. The file systems contained in the firmware may be in clear text or may be compressed or encrypted. In the first two cases, it will only be necessary to identify the format and use the appropriate tool to extract or mount it in the analysis environment. For an encrypted file system, more research about the firmware and manufacturer will be needed. The tool will now start extracting the individual partition images from the Payload.bin file. Once finished, you will find the extracted files inside the same “payload_dumper” folder.